Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I almost burnt the house down

Seriously. Here's the proof.

The crock pot looks repairable, right?!

I was cooking rice and turned the stove off. Checked the rice, it needed more time so, I turned the burner back on and left. A few minutes later, Rylie said,
       "Mom, the food is burning!" I walked in the kitchen to find flames going up the side of the crock pot. The pot was still plugged in and when I had turned the rice burner back on, I accidentally turned on the burner where I had set the crock pot.
In my defense, the knobs are exactly opposite of my burners in Houston. Anyway, I was able to safely put the flames out and the blessing in all of this is; A. We are safe and B. I now know that the smoke detectors in this rental house do NOT work. I'll be calling the property management in the morning. The one good thing about renting is not having to be responsible for EVERYTHING.

Speaking of renting, all of us are enjoying Dallas. It has been a fun new change. We are still missing old friends. Ryan and I team teach in the most wild primary any L.D.S. ward has ever seen. Don't worry though, after today I think the children have a pretty good idea that there's two new sheriff's in the building. After Ryan rounded up the children hiding in the curtains, he looked at me and we almost had to laugh out loud. I have never had to do so much reverence regulating. If any of you have at least spent a day with our family, you know that we are no strangers to chaos! Anyway, back to renting, hopefully we will hear from Ryan's work in a few months if we should start house shopping here or somewhere else. Until then, we are just doing our best to enjoy the ride!

Tonight we have three little popcorn piggy's that seem quite content!

3 comments:

Lelani said...

we miss you guys! we're headed to Utah! please let me know when you're in town.

Nilsson Family said...

Ha Ha Brooke oh my gosh! I only have one "almost burnt the house down" experience. But I was babysitting and baking cookies for the kids for dinner:)I was a great baby sitter!! I am glad you are all ok, scary! Your girls looked so cute all dresses up. Honestly I cannot stop laughing at Rylie in the pic with the long hair, I can just imagine.... Love you all and miss you!

Twins Squared said...

Never a dull moment, is there? Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog! That primary class sounds like they need you to go in and crack the whip! Nothing you can't handle I'm sure! :)

Glad to hear from y'all and get an update - what part of Dallas are you in right now?